Sites and Places
Located in Campo San Samuele and overlooking the Grand Canal, Palazzo Grassi presents important temporary exhibitions, some of which are taken in whole or in part from the collection of François Pinault. The building is the last palace on the Grand Canal built after the collapse of the Republic of Venice in 1797. Its nobility highlights the historical importance of the masterpieces in the collection, which here can very well feel at home, in the dialogue between neoclassical architecture and renovation. modern solutions created by the architect Tadao Ando
Location: San Marco 3231, Campo San Samuele
The Rialto Bridge is the oldest of the four bridges that cross the Grand Canal. After the collapse of the previous structure (a wooden bridge built in 1255), the current bridge was built in stone between 1588 and 1591 and, until the construction of the Accademia Bridge (1854), remained the only means of cross the Grand Canal on foot. The current single-span stone bridge designed by Antonio da Ponte was finally completed in 1591. It is similar to the wooden bridge that happened, with three walkways: two along the external balustrades and a larger central walkway, small shops that today they sell jewelry, linen, Murano glass and other objects for the tourist trade. The bridge’s engineering was considered so bold that architect Vincenzo Scamozzi predicted future ruins. The bridge challenged its critics to become one of Venice’s architectural icons.
Palazzo del Doge (The Doge’s Palace)
The Doge’s Palace was the seat of government, the Palace of Justice and the residence of the Doge of Venice (the Doge was the supreme authority of the former Republic of Venice – from 697 to 1797). The construction of the current Gothic palace owes its appearance to the construction works of the 14th and 15th centuries. The rooms are decorated with allegorical historical paintings that grace the walls and, in the past, were used to impress visiting ambassadors and dignitaries. When the Republic fell in 1797, its role inevitably changed and. Venice was first subjected to French, then Austrian rule and finally, in 1866, it became part of a united Italy. The palace was opened as a museum in 1923.
Location: San Marco 1
La Fenice Theatre
La Fenice Theatre is one of the most famous Italian theaters, and in the history of opera as a whole. Especially in the nineteenth century the name of La Fenice was linked to the great Italian composer; Here the first lyrics of “La Traviata” by Verdi and Tancredi and Semiramide by Rossini took place. Its name reflects its role in allowing an opera company to “rise from the ashes” despite having lost the use of three theaters by fire, the first in 1774, the second in 1836 and the third in 1996. After major reconstruction works, the theater reopened in November 2004.
Location: Campo San Fantin, San Marco 1965
Once owned by the Pesaro family, this Gothic building in Campo San Beneto was transformed by Mariano Fortuny (stylist, painter, sculptor, set designer, photographer and artist) in his studio. Bequeathed to the city by Fortuny’s widow, today the building maintains the structure created by Fortuny. The collection inside the museum includes a large number of pieces that reflect the various fields investigated by the artist, such as painting (about 150 paintings illustrating the various phases of the artist’s career), light (the focus of Fortuny’s work ), photography (including works from 1850 to World War II, in a rich variety of styles) and textiles and fashion design.
Location: Campo S. Beneto, San Marco 3958
The Basilica of San Marco
The Basilica of San Marco, the most important church in Venice, is one of the best known examples of Italo-Byzantine architecture. The existing church, organized as a Greek cross and crowned by five domes, was designed by an unknown architect in 1063-1094 and has continued to be remodelled over the years. Built as a private chapel of the Doge for state ceremonies, in 1807 it became the city’s cathedral. Inside, the Church appears as an opulent blend of Eastern and Western influences, with marble, carvings and mosaics.
Location: Piazza San Marco
Mercerie (consisting of the Merceria dell’Orologio, the Merceria di San Zulian, the Merceria del Capitello and the Merceria di San Salvatore) is the main commercial artery of Venice, which connects Piazza San Marco to Rialto. Since the early years of the Republic of Venice, this area housed shops and warehouses that supplied precious goods that came from distant countries, such as fabrics, spices and perfumes. Even today, the Mercerie are the commercial heart of the city, offering jewelery, fashion, footwear, glass and other crafts.
Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo
Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo (also known as Palazzo Contarini Minelli dal Bovolo) is a small palace built in the 15th century by the Contarini family, also known as “the Philosophers”. This building is best known for its impressive external spiral arched staircase, also called Scala Contarini del Bovolo (in the Venetian dialect “bovolo” means “snail shell”), added in 1499. The staircase leads to a portico, offering an impressive view of the roofs of the city; from February 2016 it is possible to visit the palace.
Indirizzo: Corte Contarini del Bovolo , San Marco 4299